You would be interested in supporting an art project called Exposure, with your critical and reflective knowledge as an active citizen of Newham?
This advisory group role is paid
Exposure advisory group
It’s really important to us that the Exposure project and process is honest and reflective of the experiences of health workers and also takes into account relationships between the community in Newham (who have been so deeply affected by COVID-19) and the hospital. So, we are recruiting a small intergenerational, diverse group of community organisers, arts workers, health workers, activists and knowledgeable people representative of different races, disabilities and ethnicities in the Newham community.
We will invite this group to engage with and honestly critique the process of Exposure at various intervals as the project progresses:
- How can local histories, knowledge and current experiences of Newham’s communities be heard as part of the project?
- Are there parts of the process that are problematic, which of these issues needs major thought?
- Who are we not speaking to that we should be and crucially, what we should be aiming for with this project?
- How can this project support a process of healing and justice for health workers in Newham, and for the community whose loved ones have passed, have acquired additional health struggles or been impacted in a variety of ways?
We are especially interested in hearing from individuals or groups who have experience of Newham University Hospital, local grassroots politics, and lived experiences of health inequalities. We acknowledge that the project has already begun and ideally this group would have started earlier.
We hope to work with you and your networks to build a group so that this project can support, amplify and nurture longer term work that is already happening in Newham, supporting existing networks of art, activism and cultural activity.
Who we are:
- the vacuum cleaner (James Leadbitter) is an artist and mental health activist, a white cis-gendered man based in Hackney, East London. He is the lead artist For Exposure.
- Dr Cecilia Wee is an independent curator and anti-racist educator,an East Asian cis-gendered woman based in Penge, South London. Cecilia is critical friend and accountability person for Exposure.
- Becky Summerling is a documentary researcher, a white cis-gendered woman based in Leeds. Becky is assistant producer for Exposure.
- Dr Emma Young is a Consultant in Emergency medicine and Medical educator working at Barts, specifically at Newham University Hospital and the Royal London. Emma is white jewish cis gendered based in East London.
How to get involved.
If you are interested in being involved in this group, or wish to discuss this further please email email@example.com or send a text message to Becky for a call back on 07900880457.
Rates of pay – are based on £300 per day plus travel. Online participation is of course welcome from those shielding.
Please let us know if you have any access requirements.
Cecilia, James and Becky